7/29/09

VA: Remote Area Medical 1

Mitchell Boggs, Pennington Gap, Va.
Last year Mitchell had all of his teeth pulled. The first day we met he said they would be mailing his dentures to him the next week. The day after he had been entered into a lottery and wasn't sure if he would receive his dentures or not. After an entire year without teeth Bogg's friend Ralph said he had lost a lot of weight and I relied on Ralph to translate Mitchell's garbled speech.

I spent this past weekend in Wise, Va.
photographing a Remote Area Medical expedition for NPR. The gallery follows one woman through her experience over the course of the weekend but along the way I encountered many touching, heart breaking, and even infuriating stories. It was such an honor and pleasure to work side by side with a reporter and producer, their sound really captured the essence of the place and people and our photo editor complemented the piece beautifully with stunning portraits of patients and doctors. It's the type of story that reminds me time and time again why NPR is such a remarkable place.

I wish I had collected some of my own tape to give these other people a voice. Next time...

No comments: